The most important sense of our body is sight and it plays an important role in our brain processes. There are many components in the human eye, which work together to create a picture and send it to the brain. The brain analyzes it and understands it.
The brain completely depends on the health of the eyes to understand any kind of picture information. Because of this, when our eyes start to deteriorate, then we can also have neurological disorders and this affects the brain. Our eyes communicate with the brain through the optic nerve. This nerve sends signals to the brain through the eyes, so that visual information can be processed.
If the optic nerve is damaged, it causes problems in processing visual information and affects the brain’s ability to understand. Damage to the optic nerve can occur for many reasons, such as glaucoma, stroke or traumatic brain injury, which can cause the brain to have problems with visual processing.
1) Brain function decreases: When the health of the eyes deteriorates, the brain function decreases because the visual input decreases. If your eyes are not working properly, the brain cannot receive visual information correctly and cannot function on the optical level. Because of this, cognitive dysfunction, memory impairment etc. are problems.
2) Risk of neurodegenerative diseases: Neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are linked to poor eye health. According to research, cataracts, glaucoma and age-related eye problems can increase the risk of developing neurodegenerative conditions.
3) Problems with visual processing: Due to poor health of the eyes, there is a problem in visual processing, which makes it difficult for the brain to interpret the visual information received. It can affect many parts of the brain including problem solving, visual-spatial awareness and coordination.
4) Depression: According to a study, if a person with poor eyesight has eye problems like AMD, cataracts, glaucoma, symptoms of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease appear. It also causes depression and has a negative impact on mental health.
5) Vestibular disorders: If there is an issue related to vision and balance, the eyes do not work properly, which affects the balance of the body. This causes vestibular disorder.
6) Migraines: Certain eye conditions like astigmatism and chronic dry eye syndrome can trigger migraines. Migraines affect brain function. This can lead to behavioral changes, visual disturbances, lack of concentration and cognitive problems.